Top 10 Countries with Highest Life Expectancy - 2010
Life expectancy, what it is? According to Wikipedia, “Life expectancy is the average number of years to be lived by a group of people born in the same year, if mortality at each age remains constant in the future.” One can understand that if a country’s life expectancy rate is higher, it means the country is in a better shape. Due to AIDS, the life expectancy of certain countries has come down in Africa, Asia and Latin America. This includes a total of 34 countries, of which 26 countries are in Africa.
Image via weblogs
Let us now look at the countries that have highest life expectancy rates as of 2010.
1. Macau: Macau takes the first place in countries with highest life expectancy of 84.36 years. Macau is a country in Eastern Asia bordering South China Sea and China. This country has a population of 559,846 people as on July 2010. Macau also has a very good literacy rate. Despite the economic slowdown in 2009, Macau registered a very good economic growth.
2. Andorra: Andorra is in the second place with a life expectancy of 82.51 years. Andorra is located in Southwestern Europe between France and Spain. They have a population of 83,888 people. 80% of their economic growth depends on tourism.
3. Japan: Japan takes the third place with a life expectancy of 82.12 years. Japan is situated in Eastern Asia with a population of 127,078,679 people. Japan too has a high literacy rate. Japan is now the third largest economy in the world; this will tell us about how good their economic growth is.
4. Singapore: Singapore has a life expectancy of 81.98 years and takes the fourth place. It is an island in Southeastern Asia situated between Malaysia and Indonesia. They have a population of 4,657,542 people. Singapore has a highly developed and corruption-free economy.
5. Hong Kong: Hong Kong has a life expectancy of 81.86 years. Hong Kong too is a country in Eastern Asia similar to Macau bordering South China Sea and China with a population of 7,055,071 people. Their literacy rate too is high. Hong Kong’s economy depends on International trade and finance and suffered during economic slowdown; however, with its integration with China, Hong Kong slowly recovered.
6. Australia: The life expectancy of people in Australia is 81.63 years. Australia is a continent between Indian Ocean and South Pacific Ocean with a population of 21,262,641 people. Their literacy rate is very high. They have a diversity of natural resources and therefore encourage foreign investment. They too suffered during the economic slowdown, but are recovering from it.
7. Canada: Canada’s life expectancy is 81.23 years and has a population of 33,487,208 people. It is a country in North America with a very good literacy rate. Canada suffered high during the economic slowdown.
8. France: France has a life expectancy of 80.98 years and has a population of 64,420,073 people. They also have a good literacy rate. They suffered too much during the economic slowdown especially because of the tax burden.
9. Sweden: Sweden has a life expectancy of 80.86 years and has a population of 9,059,651 people. This is a country situated in Northern Europe and has an excellent literacy rate. They too suffered badly during the economic slowdown.
10. Switzerland: The life expectancy of Switzerland is 80.85 years and takes the tenth place in the list of countries with high life expectancy rates. Switzerland is a country in Central Europe with a population of 7,604, 467 people. Literacy rate is really excellent in this country. They have a peaceful and modern economy with very low levels of unemployment.
This is the list of countries that topped the list of countries with highest life expectancy. Do you wish to know where some major countries stand in this list? United Kingdom takes 36th position, United States takes 49th position, China is in 108th position, India in 161st position and South Africa is in 212th position.
Source: Central Intelligence Agency.