Incredible India: 10 Sights To See
“Incredible India” is a phrase repeated by many people around the world. Here are a few reasons why India is deemed Incredible.
1. Taj Mahal – It is one of the Seven Wonders of the World and located in the city of Agra in Uttar Pradesh (India). It was constructed by Shahjanah in memory of his wife Mumtaj Mahal. It is also called the Epitome of Love. The mausoleum construction began in 1632 and 20,000 workers laboured for 21 years to build it.
2. Bengali Tiger – The Bengali tiger has been the national symbol since the 25th century BCE. The Bengali tiger’s average body length is approximately 6 feet with a 3 foot long tail. It weighs in at 420 pounds on average.
3. Boat Race in Kerala – The boat race in Kerala is performed every year during the months of August-September. Every boat is manned by four helmsmen, 25 singers and 100-125 oarsmen who row in unison to the fast rhythm of vanchipattu (song of the boatman). This attract a huge audience from all over India and the world
4. Pangong Lake – This is a lake situated at a height of about 13,900 ft. The lake is around 134 km long and 5km wide at its broadest point and extends from India to China. The lake is known as 'Heaven on Earth.' During the winter season, this lake freezes completely despite being comprised of saline water.
5. Jog Falls – This is India’s highest fall (180+ Meters) located in Karnataka State. The best time to visit this fall is between July and September.
6. Ekambaranathar Temple - Ekambaranathar temple is located in Kanchipuram city. It covers an area of 5 acres with four entrances. The main shrine of the temple is called Gayatri Mandapa, which is constructed of 24 pillars representing 24 alphabets of Gayatri Mantra. This is a must see place if you are visiting Tamil Nadu.
7. Konark Temple – The Temple is located in Orrisa near Bhubaneshwar city. This is a 13th century Sun temple and is one of the UNESCO heritage sites in the world.
8. Mysore Palace – It is situated at the city of Mysore, This is one of the most complex architectural design in India. The best time to visit this palace is during the 10 day festival known as Mysore Dasara.
9. Lotus Temple – This is the world’s most famous cultural architecture also known as Bahai Temple. It is located in the Heart of India and its Capital New Delhi.
10. Golden Temple – It is situated at Amritsar (Punjab) also known as Sri Darbar Sahib. It is known as Golden Temple because it is made of the marble overlaid with Gold leaf and standing in the center of a Sarovar (A pool of fresh, clear and reflective water)